Taxation is one of the most important aspects of running a business. The in-house accountant can take care of most matters but some situations require a tax attorney. Companies can need a legal professional not only for representation in front of regulatory authorities but also for assessing the tax liabilities of critical transactions like acquiring another business. Finding the best tax lawyers in India or any other nation can be tough for small business owners as the costs involved in the process are a big factor. A simple guide for selecting an accomplished professional at reasonable rates is being presented here for the benefit of small entrepreneurs.
Most new business owners located anywhere in the world feel that hiring a tax law firm for assistance in India or any other country is a needless expense. They feel that a tax lawyer is required only to deal with a notice issued by a tax authority or any other government agency. Let’s take a look at the reasons for which even small companies need tax attorneys.
1. Provide Guidance In Tax Planning: A professional with comprehensive knowledge of relevant tax laws will provide valuable guidance planning a strategy for meeting the tax requirements for the organization. This will be helpful in minimizing the tax liabilities and saving money. A knowledgeable expert will provide all relevant information and advice for making efficient tax decisions.
2. Establish A System For Record-keeping: Engaging a lawyer specializing in taxation will help a small enterprise in establishing an efficient record-keeping system. Complete and detailed records are essential for filing correct returns and preparing other documents which are necessitated by legal regulations.
3. Preparing Tax Documents: A tax lawyer will ensure that there are no mistakes in preparing tax documents. Getting a professional to fill forms or file returns will always be a better option. An expert will easily spot an error or an applicable deduction and help save legal hassles and money.
4. Assessing The Tax Effects Of Business Deals: Business transactions or deals are accompanied by tax liabilities and lawyers can make accurate assessments of the taxes needed to be paid by the organization during such events.
5. Ensuring Compliance With Regulations: An attorney will make sure that the business files timely returns and maintains documents needed for complying with legal regulations.
A business owner must look for a professional tax attorney who possesses the following qualities:
1. Significance Experience In The Field: A lawyer having considerable experience in handling tax matters for business owners will be better positioned to provide assistance. Startup owners must look for professionals who have managed accounts that had a tax requirement structure similar to theirs.
2. Specialization In Tax Laws: Many people feel that their regular attorney who knows about tax laws can do the needful. Such a professional can help in routine matters but can be found wanting when dealing with complex issues. A lawyer who has a specialization in the field will be a better option than a regular professional.
3. Impeccable Credentials: A dependable professional will have impeccable credentials which will be furnished willingly by him/her whenever a client asks for them. They will never try to hide information related to their law degree and license. In fact, reputable lawyers display such information in their offices besides highlighting their association with bodies like bar councils and other professional organizations.
4. Knowledge Of Business & Finance: Small entrepreneurs must choose an attorney who has knowledge of business management and finance. A professional who knows about the best practices and trends in business will provide much more specific advice than a regular tax attorney.
Finding the best tax lawyers in India or anywhere in the world can be a difficult task for small business owners. They can use the following tips to hire an efficient professional.
1. Ask For Referrals: Entrepreneurs can ask their peers or other acquaintances for referrals. This will ensure that the recommended professional comes with verified credentials.
2. Professional Tax Associations: Business owners can also approach the local bar association or other professional forums to know about qualified tax lawyers in their area.
3. Search Online Listings: Searching online listings of attorneys can also help find reputable professionals. These platforms also contain reviews of all listed individuals and owners must cross-reference the feedback from multiple websites to get a good idea.
Entrepreneurs must move in a stepwise manner to eliminate errors in the selection procedure of tax attorneys.
1. Make A List Of Potential Lawyers: Create a list of the best attorneys that you can find from different sources. Include their professional details in the document as it will help in organizing the process.
2. Conduct Discussions With The Professionals: Interview all potential candidates and ask them questions to assess the expertise they possess in assisting small businesses.
3. Verify Their Credentials: Clients must verify the credentials of the professionals before making the final selection. Ask them for testimonials and talk to their clients and other people to ascertain their claims.
4. Discuss Fees And Payment Options: Ask the tax attorneys about the fees they charge for advising clients. Clients must also enquire about how the fees payment can be made. Most professionals charge a fixed amount for the services they provide.
5. Sign An Agreement: It is essential that an agreement is signed with the lawyer to formalize the relationship and eliminate chances of dispute.
The above-mentioned information will be useful in finding the best tax lawyers in India or any other country who can provide proper guidance in fulfilling tax responsibilities.
Amy Jones is a versatile legal expert and working in Ahlawat & Associates for last 3 year. One of the best m&a law firms where you can discuss with experts about your legal problems.